Sree Narayana College, Sivagiri, Varkala was established in 1964 by Sri. R. Sankar, the then Chief Minister of Kerala. It was the fulfillment of a long-cherished dream of the Sree Narayana Dharma Paripalana Yogam and Sree Narayana Trusts. The college is named after Sree Narayana Guru, the great philosopher and social reformer.
The formal inauguration of undergraduate courses took place on July 24, 1967. The Department of Zoology was established in 1967 itself with the commencement of B.Sc Degree course in Zoology. Over the years, the Department has produced a good number of scientists and academicians with national and international reputation. The Department has two spacious laboratories for doing anatomy and physiology practical, which are well equipped with modern infrastructure. The Department Library has over 1300 books including new reference texts.
Academically, the Department of Zoology has maintained high standards in teaching which are reflected in examination results. The students have also excelled in extracurricular activities. Out of the four teaching faculty members, three are Doctoral Degree holders with a good lot of National and International publications under their credit.
The Department of Zoology has been making sincere efforts to be elevated to a Postgraduate Department.
VISION: To nurture ground for a student’s holistic development and to inculcate spirit to contribute effectively to the needs of the society.
MISSION: To ensure purposeful learning of biological sciences and to provide a strong platform for higher studies, research and employment